It’s time for Renewal!
Every month we see new women seeking help at our shelter, but we also have an ongoing waiting list. Almost all of the women have been victims of abuse, but with the help of our staff, they leave with a new relationship with God and a promising future.
We have begun raising funds to expand our Women’s Shelter from the present capacity of 25 to accommodate 50+ women and children. We are replacing our old, worn out buildings with a new 18,400 square feet building. This project is estimated to cost $4.2 million. We have been blessed with an $875,000 estate gift, $1.25 million in foundations, business grants, churches and individuals, and a $1.5 million Federal Home Bank Program grant. In addition to those amounts, we will still need to raise another $600,000.
After funding is secured, the Transitional Living building will be demolished and the new Women’s Shelter will be built on that footprint. Once the new shelter is completed, the women and children will be relocated into that facility and then the Main Shelter will be demolished, followed by creating the outdoor improvements. We envision the entire project being completed by fall 2021.
Out of two old school buildings, 37 years ago in 1983, Bethesda Mission opened a Women’s Shelter located a mile directly east of the State Capitol Complex in the City of Harrisburg. Its vison began, and continues, to offer women in crisis help, hope, and healing through Jesus Christ in a safe, trustworthy, and loving environment.
That vision will expand with a renewal of this site, continuing to offer long term recovery and transitional living, but also adding some emergency shelter beds and a safe haven for 18-24 year-old women whose lives are not derailed by addiction or unwanted pregnancy, but have nowhere else to go.
In our July 2017 Newsletter, the inspirational story titled God, the Girl, and the Old Building is told by Shelley Brooks,
Director of the Women’s Mission. Recounting being led by God to serve hurting women for 35 years, these very old buildings have provided shelter for refuge, reconciliation, restoration, and HOPE for a lot of women, including Shelley.
Wait upon the Lord, with faith, patience, trust, and perseverance and He will bring what is for YOU, to YOU! For Shelley, it was to witness Jesus’ love in big old buildings that have served their community well.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
The Renewal/The Expansion
- God and the Girl will remain, but the 120- year-old former school buildings have got to go, demolished! (infeasible to renovate)
- For 37 years we’ve been rescuing and restoring women’s lives in the community of Harrisburg; reaching 25+ women, some with younger kids, annually
- Searched for 5 years to find larger site to renovate or build new, but zoning restrictions and purchase price were prohibitive, so in December, 2017 we decided to “stay home” on existing site
- This half acre site will be totally renewed with a brand new 18,400 sf 4 story shelter, housing 51 beds, up from our existing capacity of 25 beds
- Outdoor space will include vegetable and flower gardens, prayer and meditation areas, play areas for children, grass and trees, security fencing and landscaped buffer, off street parking
Our staff have done wonderful job with functionally deficient facility, ministering so effectively for many years…
It’s high time for renewal!
Over the past 2 years, we have been laying a financial foundation for the project. Behind the scenes, we’ve already raised $3.6M. This means we are 85% of the way to our goal—Praise God!
Now it’s your turn. We are opening the public fundraising phase for this Campaign. We need $600,000 more to make this Staying Home Renewal & Expansion a reality.
Demolish Existing Buildings $ 64,240
Excavation, Site Work, Environmental Remediation,
Landscaping, Outdoor Amenities $ 414,400
Construct New Shelter $3,488,787
Architect/Engineer/FHLB Fees $ 275,000
Total Cost $4,242,427
Estate Gift $ 875,000
Foundations, Business Grants, Churches, Individuals $1,240,941
FHLB (Bank Grant Funding Program) $1,500,000
Total Raised $3,615,941
Remaining Need – $626,486 Building Costs
plus $100,000 Equipment & Operating Funds
Please contact Cindy Mallow, Director of Development, with any questions: 717-257-4442 x233 or email@example.com.
Ways to Give
- Cash & publicly traded securities
- Real estate valued at actual proceeds realized
- Current cash value of life insurance policies where Bethesda Mission becomes owner/beneficiary of policy
- Estate gifts under wills and trusts paid or in process
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing, and perfect will.” Romans 12:1, 2 (NIV)