Holy Week Devotion 2019 – Day 8
Easter Sunday, April 21, 2019
He Is Risen!
Luke 24:1-12 (ESV): The Resurrection
But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. 2 And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel. 5 And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6 He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, 7 that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise.” 8 And they remembered his words, 9 and returning from the tomb they told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest. 10 Now it was Mary Magdalene and Joanna and Mary the mother of James and the other women with them who told these things to the apostles, 11 but these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. 12 But Peter rose and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; and he went home marveling at what had happened.
Reflection by Doug Barger, Director of Client Aftercare
When I think about the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I am reminded of the grace of God that saved me and allows me access to the Three in One God. I also think about the power and grace that is available to me and all of those who are trusting in Jesus death, burial and resurrection as their hope. Listen to what Paul the apostle said to the Church in Colossians 3:1-4 (ESV) “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on the things that are on the earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.”
I would like to challenge you this Easter season to think about the importance of the resurrection for your life beyond the day of Easter. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is a pivotal truth for those of us who believe.
Read these 5 principles from Paul Tripp in his devotional book “New Morning Mercies” speaking about the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ:
- The resurrection of Jesus guarantees your resurrection too!
- The resurrection tells you what Jesus is doing now! – He’s seated at the right hand of the Father and He is interceding for us – and doing so much more.
- The resurrection promises you all the grace you need between Jesus’ resurrection and yours! I love this quote “Future grace always carries with it the promise of present grace.
- The resurrection of Jesus motivates you to do what is right, no matter what you are facing.
- The resurrection tells you that you always have a reason to give thanks.
So, as you go throughout the remainder of your time on earth, have the view of the resurrection in your mind because it is where our hope and power come from. If there was no resurrection of Jesus, then we are the most pitied in the world. He is RISEN! Hallelujah, what a Savior.
- Who are the men in “dazzling apparel”?
- The men in the tomb ask the women “Why do you seek the living among the dead?” In your own life, what are some of the times you, figuratively, seek the living among the dead?
- Why do you think the disciples did not believe the women when the women told them what they had seen at the tomb?
- What is the importance of the resurrection in your life beyond the day of Easter?
- Pray that you would hold on to the joy of the resurrection beyond just today, and that it would carry you through difficult times this year.
- Pray that the men and women in recovery at Bethesda would move from a lifestyle of death to a recovering new life!
Comments are closed.