Help complete the Community Center Building Project and fireproof a life!
Learn all about the project:
- The Vision
- The Expansion/Renovation – Phase I
- The Renewal – Phase II
- Project Cost
- How You Can Help
This coverage by ABC27 News on 6/26/19 contains details about our plan to preserve the history of the old fire station building that currently holds our programming while also saving on costs for the project.
Join us for the Grand Opening Celebration for Phase 1 on August 15! Information is available here.
Up on the Hill, literally, at the top of Herr Street, headed east from Cameron Street, is a small community center birthed inside an old closed-down fire station. The children and teens coming to this facility, and their families, are being fireproofed to cope with and absorb the challenges they face. They are finding hope and success, all from a foundation of experiencing the love of God expressed through the mentoring and dedication of faithful and gifted adults.
Compelling statistics proving the effectiveness of Bethesda’s efforts to stabilize and encourage teenagers can be seen through graduation rates:
Here’s where you come in…
Do you remember the story from Daniel chapter 3 about the three youths in the fiery furnace? Because of their faith in God, those three boys from Israel were shielded from the flames that were meant to destroy them! An angel of the Lord stood beside the three and prevented the fire from harming them.
This powerful story parallels what we desire to do at the Community Center: build a foundation of faith in the young people God has entrusted to us, so that when they face the trials, the flames will not derail their lives, and they will have someone standing beside them through it all.
Join us in preventing these children and teens from entering our shelters as adults. Your tax-deductible donation will raise a foundation of faith — and would mean so much to kids and families in our community. Please donate today.
YOU can fireproof a life!
The Expansion/Renovation – Phase I
- The expanded land and renovated facilities will enable a much greater variety of indoor and outdoor activities and services for children, teens, and adults.
- The newly acquired .55 acres/9,000 sf former printing building will offer a full-sized gymnasium/activity center for athletics (after we raise the roof to 22’), creative arts, education and IT support systems, music studio, banquet/large event space, outdoor play area, and room for senior activities.
- We will be able to reach 150-200 kids and families!
- Construction began in June 2018; completion expected July 2019.
- The cost: $1.55M – these funds have been received.
The Renewal – Phase II
- 108-year-old former fire station; converted into Youth Center in 1990
- For over 25 years, we’ve been building equity in the Herr Street community of Northern Allison Hill, Harrisburg; reaching 50-75 kids and their families annually.
- Youth Center renovation has been determined not economically feasible. Solution: implode and build a new structure while retaining the local historical significance of the site.
- $700,000 more needs to be raised to complete Phase II.
Total Project Cost:
Phase I $1,550,000 (renovate new property)
Phase II $1,250,000 (rebuild existing facility)
$2,800,000 Total Project Cost
Phase I $1,550,000 Received!
Phase II $ 550,000 Received!
$2,100,000 Total Received
$ 700,000 Remaining to be raised
How You Can Help
We’re looking for eight more generous donors to offer matching gifts of $25,000 or more.
Once those gifts are matched, we’ll be in the home stretch! Donate today and your gift will be doubled!
Spread the word: Download instructions here for how to set up a Facebook Fundraiser for this project!
Other ways to give
- Cash & publicly traded securities
- Real estate valued at actual proceeds realized by Bethesda Mission
- Current cash value of life insurance policies where Bethesda Mission becomes the owner and beneficiary of policy
- Estate gifts under wills and trusts paid or in process of being paid due to expiration of all intervening contingencies
- Multi-year commitments acceptable
Naming options available for significant contributions!
Will you join us and fireproof a life today?
$80 can pay for two panels of drywall in a new classroom, or $800 could cover new flooring. Any amount will make a huge difference as we prepare to reach children, teens, and families in need.
Please contact Cindy Mallow at 717-257-4442 x233 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Gifts may be mailed to:
PO Box 3041
Harrisburg, PA 17105