Current Openings at Bethesda Mission
Urban Christian organization has employment opportunities for individuals committed to serving the poor and homeless. Join our team and help make a difference in the lives of men, women, and children in Harrisburg!
MAJOR GIFTS/PLANNED GIVING MANAGER
Summary of Position
Charged with developing strategies and building relationships to secure major gifts and establish fundraising projects, the Manager of Major Gifts/Planned Giving will be expected to focus on the continuous improvement of current relationships, as well as prospect, secure, and steward gifts of a designated amount. This person will also support the development of the Mission’s planned-giving program.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, solicit, and manage appropriate targeted candidates or organizations for financial or gift-in-kind support.
- Cultivate, solicit, and maintain major gifts and donors.
- Actively manage key relationships with donors to sustain and upgrade giving levels of a designated amount.
- Cultivate and co-manage grant opportunities and planned giving.
- Manage and coordinate development activity, including cultivation, market assessment, due diligence, valuation, negotiations, contract review, and transaction execution, including appropriate conveyance of findings to Director of Development.
- Responsible for coordinating with other Communications & Development Team members in idea generation, strategic planning, fundraising campaigns, donor acknowledgement letters, lead letters, and other promotional materials related to development and fundraising efforts.
- Speak on behalf of Bethesda Mission at churches, corporate meetings, organizations, etc. as needed.
- Maintain and expand the donor database to include management and biographical information for reporting.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as mutually agreed upon.
- Exhibits spiritual maturity and a heart of compassion and caring toward the homeless and hurting, and is passionate about ministering life transformation in a multi-ethnic urban ministry setting.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred with a combination of 3-5 years’ experience of management responsibilities in fundraising, marketing, or non-profit management.
- Presents a history of stable and responsible employment with experience networking with high profile professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Must have the ability to energize relationships through working with development team on existing campaign programs and strategically developing new ways of identifying donors/gifts.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal communication, networking and leadership skills portraying a professional, business-like demeanor and a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Must be comfortable and effective in public settings representing Bethesda. Also having the ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and boards of directors.
- Must understand and be willing to work with the understanding that raising funds is the primary objective.
- Must have the ability to implement a fundraising strategy and plan for the short- and tong-term success of the Mission.
- Possesses the ability to work well with a team or collaborate with outside agencies. Must possess a high degree of commitment to confidentiality.
- Works independently with minimal direct supervision toward meeting assigned responsibilities and overall goals. Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Requires computer knowledge with familiarity with Microsoft and Raiser’s Edge or possess the willingness and ability to learn.
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours as needed, including occasional holidays and nights. Must also possess the ability and willingness to travel and network often within Harrisburg and surrounding areas.
Applying for a Position
Bethesda Mission is chartered as a non-profit Christian organization serving the poor and homeless of central Pennsylvania. In keeping with the nature of this charter, only Christians are hired, which is supported by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, Section 702(a) as amended in 1972, whereas a religious corporation is exempt from the prohibition of religious discrimination. Therefore, as a bona fide occupational qualification, the first qualification for employment with Bethesda Mission is to provide a Biblically sound testimony of having accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and to lead a life worthy of that profession.
All Bethesda Mission staff are expected to conduct themselves in a way that glorifies Jesus Christ at all times, including non-work hours.
This is important in order to keep our Christian witness before our clients and the community. Prior to submitting an application, it is important for candidates to read, understand and agree to the following information:
- Bethesda Mission’s Code of Conduct
- Bethesda Mission’s Statement of Faith
- Value Statements and Narratives
- Mission Statement
If you believe you are able to meet the expectations, responsibilities and qualifications of the position listed, please submit a copy of your resume indicating the position you are applying for to:
Human Resources Dept.
P. O. Box 3041
Harrisburg, PA 17105